Mar 25, 2012

Red Sauce

Red Sauce | by Life Tastes Good | This is my go-to red sauce I use in a variety of recipes. I love how easy it is to make! #Marinara #Italian #Spaghetti
This is my go-to Red Sauce I use in a variety of recipes, but always for spaghetti and meatballs.

I love how easy this sauce is to make! It uses canned tomatoes, fresh herbs, and loads of heavenly garlic. Everything gets tossed into the slow cooker and cooks all day. The house always smells amazing on Red Sauce day! No slow cooker? No problemo! This sauce can also be made in a large pot on the stove-top with good results!

I prefer using fresh instead of dried herbs in this recipe. If you have the dried and want to use them, no worries, it will still be yummy.  The fresh herbs take it to a new level, so I highly suggest them! I know, I know! You don't want to do all the chopping, right? I completely understand. I used to feel the same way, but now that I chop ALL! THE! TIME! I've gotten pretty quick at it, and it actually is very therapeutic.


I used to teach 3-6 year old children in my Montessori classroom, and sometimes when I got home... well, let's just say chopping was a good way to relieve some of the stress <smile>. I loved those kids, and most days were wonderful. I truly loved helping them discover new things and develop their attention span, but some days I just needed some good old chopping time in the evening. I'm sure you understand :o)

Red Sauce | by Life Tastes Good | This is my go-to red sauce I use in a variety of recipes. I love how easy it is to make! #Marinara #Italian #Spaghetti

Basically, the more you chop the faster and easier it gets. For flavor's sake, it is definitely worth the little bit of chopping and that's the truth!



Red Sauce | by Life Tastes Good | This is my go-to red sauce I use in a variety of recipes. I love how easy it is to make! #Marinara #Italian #Spaghetti

Red Sauce

Life Tastes Good
Published 03/25/2012
Red Sauce

Ingredients

  • 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste with basil, garlic, and oregano
  • 2 cups hot water
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons diced onions
  • 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
  • a small splash of Sriracha (to taste)
  • 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce with basil, garlic, and oregano
  • 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
  • 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil
  • 1/2 tablespoon fresh oregano
  • 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley

Instructions

  1. Mix 12 ounces of tomato paste and 2 cups hot water in the slow cooker until smooth. Stir in 2 tablespoons diced onions, 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, and a little Sriracha. I maybe use about a 1/2 teaspoon, but I really just go by taste. You certainly don't want spicy sauce - you want just a hint of a kick.
  2. Add 28 ounce can of tomato sauce and 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes and stir to combine.
  3. Cover and slow cook on low for several hours. I like to start this in the morning and let it simmer all day!
  4. Just before you are ready to serve add 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, 1/2 tablespoon fresh chopped basil, 1/2 tablespoon fresh oregano, and 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme. Let simmer 15 minutes more. Adjust seasonings to your liking. Serve and enjoy!
Yield: About 10 cups of sauce
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Cook time: 6 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 6 hrs. 15 mins.

Tags: Red Sauce, Marinara, tomatoes, tomato sauce, spaghetti, sauce, Italian, fresh herbs, slow cooker, main


My Red Sauce and my easy Meatball recipe go perfectly together!!


Red Sauce | by Life Tastes Good | This is my go-to red sauce I use in a variety of recipes. I love how easy it is to make! #Marinara #Italian #Spaghetti

Red Sauce | by Life Tastes Good | This is my go-to red sauce I use in a variety of recipes. I love how easy it is to make! #Marinara #Italian #Spaghetti







 Recipe inspired by Fix, Freeze and Feast

2 comments:

  1. Will this recipe still work if I leave out the 28 oz of diced tomatoes? The chunks make it harder to get kids to eat it. Also is this a thicker or thinner sauce? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could puree the tomatoes in a blender or food processor to make it smooth or maybe use another can of tomato sauce to replace them which would make the sauce thinner. I hope that helps!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated, so I don't miss anything. I like to read each and every one!

When you leave a comment on a blog post, please be aware that the comment is then public and visible to anyone who reads the comment section. Your email address is never shared or disclosed, but your name and comment will be visible to others. You may choose to leave your comment anonymously. It is highly recommended that you avoid leaving detailed personal information in your comments. For more information please read Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy before leaving a comment > Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy

I reserve the right to remove comments deemed as inappropriate, threatening, profane, or spammy without notice.

Thanks! I hope it's a great day!! ~Marion

>